Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Fred Thompson's Appeal

I like to say that I'm only consumed by very, very few things and politics is not one of them. The welfare of my country and my kids and grandkids are one of them," he said. "But if people really want in their president a super type-A personality, someone who has gotten up every morning and gone to bed every night thinking about for years how they could achieve presidency of the United States, someone who could look you straight in the eye and say they enjoy every minute of campaigning -- I ain't that guy.

I go out of my way to be myself cause I don't want anybody to think they're getting something they're not getting. I'm not consumed by this process. I'm not consumed with the notion of being president. I'm simply saying I'm willing to do what's necessary to achieve it if I'm in synch with the people and if the people want me or somebody like me.

I was excited when I heard that Fred Thompson was running for office of the President. Over the past several months that excitement has turned to dissappointment due to Fred's apparent lack of effort on the campaign trail. Even with my dissappointment, the above quote somehow causes me to rethink my dissappointment and reconsider with what it is a President should be concerning himself.

You can read more here.

Some questions:
-Does this mode of thought sound appealing? Refreshing even?
-How were elections won before the campaign trail was ever blazed?
-Could a man survive as President if that man was not a politician?
-How far have we come from the campaign days of Douglas and Lincoln? Would it be wise to return to them?
-Do you think that what we see today is a fear realized by those who fought against such a system as federalism?

No comments: