Thursday, September 18, 2008

I Don't Celebrate This &$%@. I'm Black.


*** Expletives Present***

In a video posted on YouTube, the swingman [Josh Howard] is shown at Allen Iverson's charity flag football game in July. When the national anthem is being sung, various participants are shown mugging for the camera. When the camera gets to Howard, he says: " 'The Star-Spangled Banner' is going on. I don't celebrate this [expletive]. I'm black."

Howard goes on to make a difficult-to-discern comment that includes a reference to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.


You can read more here.

Some questions:
-Why do those in sports seem to be "role models" more than hard working fathers & mothers?
-What changed that allowed for sports to be more appreciated and respected than a man that puts in a hard day's work?
-Do you think that being black is a reasonable defense to not participating in the national anthem? How does being black even enter into the equation of not participating in the national anthem?
-Overall, what are your thoughts concerning the video?

1 comment:

B Nettles said...

It has no basis in being black. He's being self-centered and disrespectful of every nation, not just the USA. His actions "dis" Kenya, Zambia, Haiti, Brazil, etc. If he doesn't like the USA, that's fine, but "shut up!"

Let me take that a step further. This type of disrespect is anarchy and extends to any organization in which cooperation and participation are fundamental. This guy is NO TEAM PLAYER. If I was his coach, he'd ride the pine until he quit or I was fired.

I don't have to agree with the principles of an organization, but I should not disrupt, distract, or disregard its symbols. The limiting of organizations is a function of governments, not individuals. If I don't like what's going on, I present my grievance to constituted authorities, not just make my own &$#* rules.

Skin color, culture, or country of origin of your great, great grandfather is no excuse for anarchy.